Pageviews past week

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Revelation


Not sure how many of you have heard Kanye’s new album, but it’s pretty damn good if you ask me. A lot of people say it’s his best. I haven’t given it enough spins to justify that yet; however it’s definitely got the lyrics as well as the production to compete with College Dropout and Late Registration. With that said, I think it’s about time everybody give Ye his props and recognize him as one of the great influences ever when it comes to this rap shit. I know what you’re thinking. That I’m just excited about the new album and I’m writing this on a musical high. But if you take a closer look at his rap sheet, there’s no denying the facts. Shall we explore?

First off, the guy makes good music and he does so on a consistent basis. Unlike some of the guys considered legends today, he’s never dropped a bad album. Even 808’s & Heartbreaks; for what it was, it was an okay album. He doesn’t have any frisbees like “Kingdom Come” or “Nastradamus”. The man has a brilliant catalog with certified classics that are accepted by media critics and hip hop heads alike. And I mean real hip hop classics, not these “new classics” that people are claiming like “Tha Carter 3” which, let’s be honest, was mediocre at best. And I’m being nice about that one.

Some people say he’s really not great in the technical aspect of rapping. Well neither was Tupac. Yeah, I said it. But you know what people love most about Tupac was his passion and the presence he brought to the mic. Don’t try to tell me that Kanye isn’t one of the most passionate rappers about his craft. And as far as the music goes, he’s a genius. Personally, I think he’s underrated as a lyricist. You can’t say that he hasn’t been around long enough to solidify his standing among the greats. That argument is always null and void if any of you consider BIG to be one of the best.

And from a production aspect, I think everything he’s ever done pretty much speaks for itself. He gave Jay the whole soul sampling vibe for The Blueprint. And after that dropped, pretty much everybody wanted a record that at least sounded like Kanye produced it. Of course guys like RZA and DJ Paul and Juicy J were doing that long before him, but they never made it as popular as he did.

A lot of you may not agree with me here, which is understandable. In my personal opinion, however, his influence is undeniable. Just thought I would drop some food for thought for you guys. Do I have Kanye in my top 10? Hell no. But to not give the dude his props is almost disrespectful. Just take a second to think about that for a minute. And if that doesn’t convince you, google a picture of Amber Rose.

No comments:

Post a Comment