Pageviews past week

Monday, December 7, 2009

MyShoeBag Presents: The Dark Knight

With tomorrow's release of Chris Brown's album, guest writer The Dark Knight offers his opinion on why we shouldn't count out the young buck. I'm sure that album has some good beats on it at the least

Remember the days where a good ol’ fashion beef sold records; a lie here (Pac sleeping with Faith Evans), fabrication there (Rick Ross, “I ain’t never been a correctional officer, oh wait there was that time in the early 90’s I spent collecting a pay check…but I was crooked though”), a diss song based on a ½ second encounter with another artist that didn’t go the way that you wanted (Mariah Carey and Em)…but domestic violence? That’s a new one for me.

Now don’t get me wrong, I am most certainly familiar with artists using mean and hurtful language when describing other artist in their music to create a buzz around a record ors to create this publicity surrounding their new album releases, but Rhiana and Chris Brown have taken the “Drama Sells” approach to a whole new level. Before I get into this brief tirade of sorts let me say for the record, I am against any type of domestic violence…and just in case you had the tendency to cheer let me be specific; my stance is not just against cowardly men putting their hands on women, but also gassed up women feeling they can put they hands on a man.”

Now that I got that out of the way; I find it extremely interesting how an individual who has suffered extreme brutality at the hands of her significant other back in February can go into complete obscurity with no sign of imminent return or appearance. And then, nine months later you are back on the scene in full affect, ready to birth another album all in the name of generating awareness to other young women about the seriousness of domestic violence. I mean the interview airs national November 6, and the album drops a couple of weeks after. My question is where were you 7, 8 months ago? Have you made any other public appearance to educate individuals on the warning signs of abuse? And please spare me the she was finally ready to talk about it speech because it wasn’t like her mouth was wired shut or she was in a coma like state that prevented her from coming public sooner. I’m not downing Rhiana for speaking out…I’m just curious as to the timing.

And just to be fair…Chris you couldn’t come out with an initial statement about how you felt in regards to the Rhiana interview? Oh wait, maybe you were after your community service you became too consumed with helping young men deal with their anger. Whatever the case, I’m sure tonight we will see a very remorseful, I never thought I could be that guy, I’ve never been like that in any other relationship, witnessing domestic violence with my own eyes growing up had no effect on me, etc., etc. I’m sure that you won’t mention the new album at all…unless Robin Roberts ask you about it (wink wink). I’m sure by the previews that your Mr. Rodgers sweater and coy demeanor will preserve some of the album sales that you might have lost…considering it comes out December 8th.
At the end of the day, there is nothing like some CONTORVERSY to help sell records…no matter the severity.

No comments:

Post a Comment