Pageviews past week

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Liar Liar

Earlier this week I saw a movie called “The Invention of Lying”. To sum it up the people live in a world where they tell the blunt truth without any thought or knowledge of how not to. They’re programmed that way. One guy however formed the ability to say something that was not. In other words he was the only person in the world capable of telling a lie. Because everyone was programmed to tell the truth no matter what, everything that everyone ever said was taken at face value no matter how crazy or unbelievable it is.

So this got me to thinking on a few different levels. When people lie to someone they care about, is it for their own selfishness or is it because we want to spare the other persons feelings? For example, let’s say you’re in a relationship and you do something that would cause your significant other would leave if they ever found out. It can be anything from cheating to leaving your pubes in the shower. I don’t know how some peoples relationships work. Let's say you did whatever it is you weren't supposed to and that person asked you about it. What's your motivation for lying? I've heard both sides of the fence from ppl who believe that if you truly love and care about someone that you tell them the truth no matter how much it hurts because if it was really meant to be, love will conquer all and it will be. I've also heard the other side that believes you will lie to that person because you will do whatever it takes so that they won't leave you. I'll reserve judgement on which I think is correct or not, but I definitely understand where both sides are coming from. Just a thought


Also, would it be possible for any of you to go just a single day without telling a lie no matter the consequences. I honestly doubt I could do it for a few different reasons. For one, I’m likely to slack off at work and my manager will want to know why something isn’t done when it should be. At this point, instead of saying that I’m writing a blog that I’m going to post on facebook or that I’m more interested in this Bill Simmons column on espn.com, I’ll have to make up some bullshit answer to save my job or to avoid getting written up at least. Another reason is because I’m single and lying to random women is just a part of the game. I kid, I kid. But I’m going to let you all know that I plan on conducting a social experiment on myself where I have to tell the absolute truth no matter what. Maybe I’ll go for a day or so…maybe for a full week. I have no idea when I’m going to start the experiment and I’m probably not gonna let anybody know when I start because I don’t want them to ask me questions that may get their feelings hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment