Pageviews past week

Monday, December 6, 2010

A Thin Line

Maybe some people just mistake our general body structure as a sign of weakness. Perhaps some people envy us and it’s their way of showing their true admiration. It could be that some people think they’re actually giving us compliments, even though them shits is about as back handed as a slap from a pimp in Mississippi. Maybe some people out there are mad because we have great genes, or possibly just jealous because our jeans fit great; I don’t know, but whatever the case is, I’m getting fed up with the universal lack of respect shown towards me and my brothers and sisters. I’m talking about us skinny people. Slim. Thin. Petite for the ladies.

True story. In the wake of my unemployment, I’ve become extremely bored, and finding an actual job is probably gonna take longer than I originally thought. So I decided to keep myself occupied by getting a part time gig. At this part time job this morning, there were a lot of deliveries being made to the store. As I stop to chat with a fellow associate, an older lady, our conversation goes as follows:

Associate: Hey there are a lot of boxes being delivered to the stock room so if you need to go back there, use the door to the right because the other door is blocked

Me: Sure. Ok

Associate: Actually it’s alright. You can probably fit. You’re teenie.

Me: (blank stare)

I’ve been called a lot of things in my life; mostly an asshole. This is probably the one that has offended me the most. I won’t even use the cliché “I’m a grown ass man” to show how uncomfortable and disrespected I felt. No, I’m an adult. There’s nothing “teenie” about me. Except for that one time, but it was cold that night and I had just gotten out the shower, but that’s not the point.

Being part of the HoH movement, my initial urge was to slap her. But she was white, and I’m not sooooo…yeah, probably not a good idea. Upon breaking down the situation, I couldn’t be mad at her. She didn’t know any better. We skinny people have let you “normies” (that’s we call you behind your back) disrespect us far too long, and it’s about time we put a stop to it. Now obviously we can’t do that by force because some people will just choose to sit on us. Literally. Not much more we can do at that point. But to all my fellow skinny people out there, it’s up to us to make sure that we call out those who think they continuously call us out and get away with it.

So the next time someone decides to give you a backwards ass compliment like “You are so skinny,” just smile and say, “Too bad you’re not.” Ladies, when you’re shopping with a friend and she says, “OH EM GEE, I wish I could fit into that, you’re so lucky to be so thin.” Give her a blank stare and say, “you could be too, if you joined a gym and stopped washing your food down with milkshakes.” Is that rude? Yes. A little disrespectful even? Absolutely. But our kind has been putting up with it for decades, and we’re not gonna take it anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment