Pageviews past week

Thursday, January 6, 2011

How Many of Us Have Them?

There’s not a wide variety of subject matter discussed between me and my core group of friends. Sports, music, women, sneakers, and playing in the snow pretty much sums up the extent of our conversations. Other than that, all we do is crack jokes on each other and pretty much anyone else within eyesight. Sure, we’ve been called mean before. We talk about each other so much that people who aren’t really used to hanging out with us wonder why we’re even friends in the first place. I wouldn’t have it any other way though. For one, you’ll learn to develop thick skin pretty quickly. Either that, or you might as well not even come around us. Most importantly, however, is that I know if I ever get out of line, they will quickly bring me back to reality.

So as I was writing the previous post about the nature of lame guys, specifically the part about the way some guys dress, I thought to myself, “I’m glad I don’t have friends who would let me walk out in public looking ridiculous.” Now, I’m not the type to just go around and critique someone’s clothes, but if it’s wack, then I have to call it like I see it. I think the world would be a better place, and people would respect their friends more if everyone acted the way me and my friends do.

True Story: Me and V Mac were waiting on another one of our boys to get to my place before we headed to a birthday party for a friend of ours. When he shows up, he was wearing a shirt that had a little too much going on. So me and V Mac look at each other and start clowning him, and he asks us, “Yall don’t like this shirt?” And we answer, “Nah, that shits not hot, son. We can’t let you go out like that.” Luckily he had a different shirt in his car and we “encouraged” him to go change before we left. But you know what the beauty of it was? He didn’t get mad. He just went and changed, kept it moving, and we all had a good time at the party.

This is how all friendships should be. But because too many people catch feelings these days it’s hard to gauge what a friend’s reaction will be in any given situation similar to the story I just gave you. Women are the worst offenders. After one of your girlfriends asks you for your opinion on a hideous outfit, some of you will look her dead in the eye, lie through your teeth about how cute it is, and not even bat an eyelash. But the worst part is when everybody is talking about her in public later asking “Why did she come out the house like that?” you’ll be the first to say “Girl, I don’t know what she was thinking.” I can see why though. Because if you tell your friend that her dress is ugly then you’re the uppity friend who thinks her shit don’t stink. I firmly believe that most women are in competition with each other whether they are best friends or worst enemies. Guys, on the other hand, we’re all on the same team and are just trying to win. At least that’s how it is with me and my boys.

Not to say some guys aren’t guilty as well. We’ve all had that one friend who’s talking about the girl who has been peeping him for a while. We could all just nip it in the bud at that moment and let him know that this chick looks like Wanda from In Living Color. But we let it slide and figure it’s all good because at least he’ll get some tonight. And in the end it’s all about results, right bro? Negative. What if you’re friend gets hooked and decides to gal her up. Now we gotta act like we don’t see him holding hands and kissing Cousin It in the mouth.

See, the problem is everybody wants to be liked, so they try extra hard to be nice to their friends so that they can retain those friendships. Personally, I don’t give a damn. I’ve said plenty of times that I don’t even know how I have friends sometimes. The thing is I don’t care if my friends like me or not because if they didn’t like me, they wouldn’t be my friends in the first place. Remember, your true friends are the ones who won’t spare your feelings. They’re not gonna tell you what you want to hear, they’ll tell you what you need to know. So with all of you out there vowing to make get rid of the fake friends in your life for 2011, take a look in the mirror and make sure you’re not one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment