Pageviews past week

Sunday, January 2, 2011

A New Resolution

This may come as a surprise to most of you, but I’m a hater and a bit cynical by nature. So it always gives me great pleasure this time of year when I get to hate on everyone who says in one variation or the other something along the lines of “Out with the old, in with the new. (Insert upcoming year) is all about change. I’m so over (current year).” Luckily I know better than to try and convince myself or others that I’m going do anything drastically different between December 31st and January 1st. It’s not that I think that people can’t change for the better. It’s just that I know that people who are really working to improve themselves would do it on September 18th, not January 1st.

My favorite one is where someone talks about getting rid of the fake friends and people that hold them back the most. I would believe you if you didn’t end up going to their house party for New Year’s Eve. Don’t tell me that you’re looking for a different type of man/woman that you usually date, but you stay going to the same clubs every weekend. I can understand that you realize in mid-December that you’ve continued to fuck up over and over again, and that if you keep at this pace your relationships/career/finances will go in a never ending downward spiral. Congratulations, you’ve made a step in the right direction. However, the next step should not be to stay set in your dumbass ways because you figure that it’s just easier to make a change after a new year begins. How would you like it if your favorite team was in the middle of a losing streak and said, “I know we’re on a losing streak right now, but we’re just gonna forfeit these games until 2011 begins and then start trying to get better.”?

Not to say that there aren’t people who won’t try to do better, and succeed to some degree before the inevitable happens. Some of you might keep up with that diet and workout plan for a week, until you mess up and think, “It doesn’t matter if I miss ONE day at the gym.” Or “it’s just ONE cookie, it won’t hurt.” Somebody out there has a close friend, who has sworn that she is gonna change her hoe-ish ways and only sleep with guys that she’s in a relationship with. She won’t make it past the first weekend because as soon as she goes downtown and gets drunk, she’ll end up getting tossed up. Again. Character doesn’t change overnight, guys. As the great Hov once said, you was who you was fo’ you got here.

Let’s stop fooling ourselves and keep it real people. 2011 is gonna look a lot like 2010 for 98% of all of us. Your friends won’t change. You still won’t get that raise or promotion. And your boy/girlfriend who made a resolution to stop cheating on you, has continued to do so. That’s life though ain’t it? Keep waking up, and before you know it 2012 will be upon us. Just in time for you to make that change. Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment